Have you ever felt you were stuck in a situation you thought you would never be able to get yourself out of, something that you had been fighting to fix, change, improve for a long time, but had not succeeded? How did you make it through? One quality you might have had to tap into is Perseverance.
Over the course of the last 4 years, I got to see first hand not only the battle but the results of always pushing forward, looking for new ways, exploring options and never giving up. And it’s an amazing thing.
See, my man has been involved in an ugly custody battle that has landed him in court on numerous occasions. His ex refuses to abide by the consent order and has prevented him from having contact of any kind with his children. As a results, it has been over 4 years since he’s had any interaction with them. Every effort he made was thwarted every step of the way by a court system that hid behind technicalities because it was unwilling to make a decision, the right decision. Last week, he went down to Florida for a mediation meeting and had the opportunity to spend almost three full days with his girls, after zero contact. I can’t even describe how he felt and how well the reunion went. The fight is not over yet, but with perseverance, I have no doubt he will succeed. Here are some of his success secrets so far:
- Don’t accept the status quo. Just because someone tells you things are this way or that way, doesn’t mean you have to accept it
- Do your research. Find out everything you can about how others have dealt with the same situation and figure out what you can learn from their situation, then apply it
- Explore options. So you tried one or two ways and it didn’t work. What else can you try?
- Tap into your circle of influence. Even though people may not have experienced what you are going through, they can provide an different point of view which can open new doors. They can also be a good gut check or a sanity check
- Don’t give up. It’s going to be a hard battle. You will shed some tears. You’re going to be frustrated, disappointed, hopeful and everything in between. Whatever you do, don’t give up because that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is worth everything you go through. The elation you will experience when you get the result you have been fighting so hard for is beyond comparison to anything you’ve ever felt.
Whatever you are going through today, you will make it. You will survive and you will persevere. Know that when you emerge victorious on the other side, it will all be worth it.